Friday, May 13, 2011

Chicken satay

Ingredients (Serving size - 80pax):
60 pieces of chicken thighs
2 cups of soy sauce
2 cups of ketchup
2/3 cups peanut oil
1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
Garlic powder (15 pinches)
Black pepper (10 pinches)
Ground cumin (10 pinches)

Method:
I had bought the bone-in chicken thighs 'cos they were on sale at $0.99/lb. You might want to buy the boneless ones if you don't want to have to de-bone them on your own.
Remove the skin and bones with a sharp knife. I tossed out the skin but kept the bones to make some chicken stock later.
Cut the chicken thighs into smaller bite-size pieces and marinate the meat with the above ingredients before leaving it to chill in the fridge overnight.
The traditional way of making satay is to skewer the marinated meat pieces using bamboo sticks and then grill the meat sticks over some burning charcoal. However, to save time and to make my job easier.....I decided to cook the chicken pieces in the oven without the skewers.

I made some holes on the disposable aluminium trays so as to allow the meat juices to drain away as I had wanted to achieve a drier meat texture like that of BBQ-ing over a flame.
After spreading the chicken pieces out evenly on the tray, I placed the smaller "holey" trays over a big tray to catch the drips. I baked the chicken pieces for about 35-40minutes in 350F.
The drip tray managed to catch all the meat juices....and the chicken pieces got cooked nicely.
I made a peanut sauce to go with the chicken satay but I had forgotten to take a photo of it as I was rushing to pack everything for RG's party.
I also prepared some sticky rice and cucumber pieces to go with the satay.
According to RG, the chicken satay was the first dish amongst all others to run out.....I take that as a good sign.


2 comments:

  1. The holes in the tray are such a GREAT idea...provided you remember to put another tray underneath!! :) Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love satay! Your recipe sounds very easy and good.

    ReplyDelete