Friday, March 25, 2011

Lunchbox Recipe - Tuna+veg+bean salad

Here's today's lunchbox menu: egg+celery mayo sandwich (using fat free mayo), cucumber strips, cantaloupe, tuna/veg/bean salad, oatmeal cookies, raisin bran (in place of chips) & a little ghirardelli raspberry dark choco treat since it's FRIDAY!
My side salad was inspired by the 3 leftovers I had - tuna/hummus from the previous lunchbox, corn & some baked beans. All I had to do was to chop up some baby carrots & celery to go with the other 3 ingredients. You can use any type of veg, I just like my salads to look colorful hence the yellow, orange & green! I also plumped up some golden raisins by soaking them in warm water and added them to the salad. For the leftover baked beans, as they were soaking in tomato sauce and pork fats, I rinsed the beans through hot water first before using them.

Drizzle some low-fat thousand island dressing over the salad and mix well. I'd normally add the dressing a little at a time while I mix the salad....I just want to add enough to finely coat the ingredients instead of having the vegetables swimming in the dressing.
Here's a spoonfull of sweet crunchy goodness! Now say "aaahhhhhhhh".
I actually made the salad and sandwich filling last night and left them in the refrigerator to chill. So it didn't take me long to put the whole lunchbox together....and I've still got time to slowly enjoy my cuppa coffee and take in the spectacular sunrise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment