Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bah Kut Teh....using the oven!

Yup....you read it right! I used the oven to cook a big pot of bah kut teh using the BKT spice pack that KJ had sent me all the way from Singapore.

I like using the oven 'cos it's so easy and convenient! No standing over the stove to ensure that nothing boils over.....or causing an oily mess all over the kitchen with all the splitter-splattering when cooking on the stovetop.

I could just pop stuffs into the oven and then go do what I have to do without having to keep checking on the food. Just like today, I left the BKT in the oven to cook for 2hrs while I went out to run some errands. When I came back....the pot of BKT was almost ready and smelling amazing!
With the spice pack....the BKT was a breeze to make. I used about 4 huge chunks of pork ribs (approx 1.6lbs), 5-6 cloves of garlic (smashed and skin-removed), 10 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of black soya sauce (the thick kind). I threw everything, including the spice pack, into my big cast iron pot and covered the pot with the cast iron lid. My oven was preheated to 300F (bake function). And I let the pot sit in the oven to cook for about 2hrs.

2hrs later.....the whole kitchen was smelling wickedly yummy! I don't really eat BKT a lot back in Singapore but I must say this BKT soup/ribs using the spice pack is darn tasty *slurp*


I find that soups that are cooked using this method taste very flavorful. It's almost like making soup using the slow double-boiling method. And 'cos I use a cast iron pot with a very heavy lid....the liquids don't reduce too much, too fast. You'll end up with a good amount of soup but still with good strong flavors. Do try it one of these days and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to cook BKT. I like to cook things that you can put in the oven and 'forget' while doing other things around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charmaine: i never knew how to cook stuffs using the oven until i came to the states. i used to think that oven is only for baking. of course, having the cast iron wares really help alot in oven cooking. i don't think i can ever live without the oven and cast iron pots now!

    ReplyDelete